Friday, May 15, 2009

Potential


I think that my yard has many great features to it. This isn't one of them though. Last year, Luke and I were feeling really adventurous and wanted to cut a new bed in our backyard. Well, truth be told, we ran out of steam and this is the result. The grass has re-grown in, sloppy and ugly. 


This is another shameful bed in our yard. That light green leafy plant that is poking out of every single other plant is the bane of my gardening existence. I can't spray roundup on it because we're not allowed to where we live. What's all the nonsense about "watershed" and "drinking water." Puh-lease. Well, I guess the large fines and possible jail-time are enough to deter me. So no roundup. The nursery gave me some stuff that was supposed to work and still stay in our neighborhood rules but it hasn't worked. So Luke is going to spend this Saturday and Sunday digging out these beds and making them look more like these:

Ah beauty!

Sigh of happiness...
I know, they look good right! That's about 25-30 hours of my love, sweat and pain. And a few of Luke's too. I'll tell ya, he's really good at shoveling soil. Now we just need to buy some plants! 

Little side-note: Did you know it's not called 'dirt'??? I used to work at a greenhouse and I got into more trouble that you want to know about because I called the brown stuff 'dirt' like most people do. Pardon my french, but it's actually 'soil' which doesn't sound so nice either. Soil can also be used in other forms that tend to lean more towards diapers, mess and dirtiness. Hence the name dirt. But let's not start this.

So after we do all the work, I'll post more photos. And photos of us not working in the yard anymore. We will be so busy drinking margaritas on the patio that we won't have time for yard work. I think I live in a dream world. But I like it.

Hmmm... I've run out of stuff to say for the moment. I know, I thought that was weird too.

No comments: