Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Where I Live.


Our house is situated on a hill and our driveway is like a "blue" rated ski slope. It's steep to back down in a car. Or walk up. Pregnant. Let's forget I ever mentioned that. Anyway, it's steep.

The previous owners had installed these lights in the yard down the driveway to make it easier to see when backing down. But because it is so difficult to do if you're not used to it, those lights ended up getting demolished by cars wandering into our garden on the way down. (funny story, my friend who ran over the first light actually tried to correct her car and ran over a second one. And they are LOUD when they crack into a hundred pieces...) Anyway, the lights were also electric so once the first light was broken, the entire line stopped working. Needless to say, our driveway has been VERY dark for about awhile.

Right after my son was born, Costco had this great deal on some solar powered lights so I carried my new 10 day young baby and my poor postpartum body to Costco to take advantage of the coupon. They were out of the lights that day. I tried to be polite in the middle of my hormonal roller coaster and sleep deprived self. Rain check please!

This is sorta what they look like...


Costco finally got a new shipment in and I picked up 2 boxes, which is enough to light our driveway and keep a few extras just in case we have another car/crushed lights mishap. These beautiful new lights stayed up on the shelf in our garage just until a couple of weeks ago. But they are now up. I was really excited about these lights and they look great!

The first night, they went on beautifully and I practically wanted to get in my car just to back down with the lights shining next to my car. I didn't though. I just looked out the window a hundred times.

Now, one thing I didn't consider is this: I live in the Northwest. We don't necessarily get lot of this:

This happens to be the sun. It looks hot. Temperature hot, not hot hot, in case you were wondering.

Where I live is a lot more like this:

Cloudy and rainy, sometimes just cloudy, not rainy.

I say all of this because I have noticed that as October has been progressing, the lights have stopped lighting up. At first it was a few that didn't turn on and then about 95% of them and last night... zip. Totally dark. So, I think that the lack of light is affecting my lights. Or, the neighbor's kids turned off all the switches... I will get back to you on this. But I'm pretty sure it's the sunshine.

I'm gonna test it tonight though because wonder of ALL wonders, it's sunny today. Blue sky, few clouds and I can just feel it... the lights are excited. And they should be. Tonight they will be able to do their job and I will be glad to see them light my driveway once again. Unless it's a prank. Then I'll be pissed.

And with that, have a happy day!

No comments: