Wednesday, September 23, 2009

maternity jeans


First off, let me tell you that I was already a little bit skeptical of maternity jeans before I started my search for some. And this is based purely on my internet "research" or whatever you call it, and the pictures of what are available. 

So, yesterday I succumbed to the pressure of my growing belly and headed to the mall. I have zero jeans that fit me. My friend Romay lent me a pair to get me through until I bought some of my own, for which I will be eternally grateful. Nobody needs to see my pants with the zipper all the way down, begging to be worn by someone other than me. First stop of the day was Target. When I looked online, it seemed there might be some possibilities at Tarjay. Well, yes, if you live in any city OTHER than Bellingham, probably right. However, we only have like 5 racks of maternity clothes in the whole store. And about 3 pairs of jeans. I tried on every pair of maternity pants they had and all were SO awful, embarrassing actually. Being pregnant is supposed to be cute, not scary. 

I mean... really??

So I left the store quickly and made a dash for Motherhood Maternity. Now, they had a lot more to choose from in this store. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since all they sell is maternity duds. I asked for help right away and within about 3 minutes, I was in a change room with about 10 pairs of jeans and loads of hope for a good find. 

Well, funny thing about hope... it can dwindle pretty fast. To start with, they didn't have this pair, which I thought were pretty cute.

But I did try on these:

The elastic belly was great, except for the bunching at the back, which I KNOW will come in handy when the belly is much bigger but for now, not so much. And kinda short. And weird legs.

Also tried on these ones: 

Also too short. And funny legs. They made me feel ick. Dear Motherhood Maternity... please don't make me feel like that ever again. Thank-you. Amen.

 But right at the end, I found these. 

And I actually think the photo isn't nearly as SUPER RAD as the actual jeans. Okay, maybe an overstatement, but they aren't really so bad. They are longs too which made me feel very sorry for people who are actually really tall. Because I'm not. And I needed the longs. They were the only ones that looked even remotely good. But Wait!

THEN I tried on THESE!!!!! These, my friends, are my new besties for the next 6 months. Pure bliss...

Stretchy black leggings. VERRRRRYYY stretchy. Ha, just watch, I'll be wearing these 10 years from now, with the belly and everything. 


After paying for my clothes, I left the store, feeling relatively hopeful about clothing for the next six months. Then, as I was walking, I noticed a really great pair of jeans on someone ahead of me. And I knew my jeans would never be THAT great. 

Jeans envy, I tell you, it's an ugly thing. 

No comments: