Saturday, August 14, 2010

Financial Peace... Who Knew?

It's funny because Luke and I really thought for a long time that we knew what we were doing with money. Seriously. And then last January, I found this book by Dave Ramsey called "Total Money Makeover" and read it in like... 3 days. Not kidding. Now, one thing to know about me is that I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction. Any non-fiction. I only have so much reading time in my day and I read stories. Period. Well, almost.

So anyway, back to the book. I read it in 3 days. And I was spouting off all the crazy things in there I was reading to Luke and he was getting kinda irritated. Because some of the stuff in there was TOTALLY the opposite of what he learned in college. You know, in his finance degree. But he was curious so he read the book in 4 days. He also isn't a huge non-fiction reader. And then we were in. Totally in. Like, cut your credit cards up, in.

And I'm really excited.

That was back in January and we've paid off so much debt since then, I didn't know it was possible. It hasn't been easy. It's been completely the opposite. But I've learned that more than any outside issue that I could blame for our debt and lack of savings... WE were the problem. It was a tough thing to admit to. I guess Dave's book could also be called "Character 101". Because that's what it feels like to me. It's hard work but I feel like we're building some character in a place we've never had it.

Which brings me to what this blog post is about.

We ordered a 13 week class called "Financial Peace University" and have been running a small test home group at our house for the past several weeks. It's been SO great for everyone who's attending. I'm excited for each of our futures!! But we really, REALLY want so many more people we know to experience this class and the tools it teaches. You go from having an empty tool belt to being fully equipped to win... in 13 weeks. As Dave says, "it's really simple but it's not easy". I agree. Because it's really hard.

And with that said, I've posted a video clip of part of the first class. We're hoping to facilitate a group at Abundant Life Community Church in 2011 and it's open to the community. It's not "churchy". It's practical stuff. Dave does the teaching and then there's small group discussion and (gasp) HOMEWORK!

But I have to say this. If you're single, it empowers you to make good decisions for your future. If you're married, it gets you both on the same page. About money. Seriously. (I know, it's weird right?!?!?) And it's awesome. So I hope you enjoy the clip below and maybe we'll see you at FPU this winter!


1 comment:

becomingbyamani said...

What is one of the most significant things you have learned?