Saturday, August 28, 2010

Little Problem Solvers

I need to recharge my camera battery. I realize this blog is lacking in photos... sorry about that.

That's the problem. Solved. Ha ha! Just kidding.

I was thinking this morning about how babies are the most amazing problem solvers compared to adults. Literally ever single day, Hudson does something new. Nobody is teaching him these things. He just keeps trying to use his body and learns a new sound or movement every single day. I can't help but be impressed.

Before Hudson was born, I was reading this book called "Prenatal Parenting" by Frederick Wirth and it was really interesting. Some of the book was kind of boring and I didn't finish it but all the facts about how amazing babies really are was so great! Luke was trying to read his own book but I kept interrupting him with my "awesome facts" and he started getting a little bit irritated. I can't really blame him. I was pretty pumped, probably a little over-enthusiastic! And I hate it when he does that while I'm reading.

Hmph.

Did you know that what a baby experiences during the birth experience is so traumatic that it would probably kill an adult? But because babies are so resilient, they can go through the extremely difficult experience of being born and within about 30 seconds are totally and completely recovered and staring with awe at their mothers. When I read this, I was still pregnant and felt kind of bad for Hudson but I think it's probably a really good thing because a baby gets their first opportunity to work through a difficult process and see that they can do it... they can weather a storm and that there is joy on the other side of it.

Here's another one. Did you know that babies come out of the womb more intelligent that adults? They have the most amazing ability to problem solve that we lose as we get older. Obviously we can still solve problems but babies have double the amount of brain cells when they are born compared to a 10 year old child. There is so much potential just waiting to happen in their brains and as they get older, whatever isn't used supports the old saying... "you don't use it, you lose it."

So I can't help but be really impressed by Hudson's ability to figure out how to use his body. He must be so fascinated with himself. One day, he finds out that his hands are connected to his body and he can actually control their movement. Another day, he realizes he has feet and another, figures out how to get them into his mouth. What fun! One of my favorites so far is the day that he realized his tongue can change the way he manipulates sound. It started with chewing on his tongue and making little noises and ever since he figured that out, he has turned into a chatter box, talking for as long as he is awake as he experiments with the different sounds he can make. Luke always says he can't wait to hear Hudson's thoughts on the world and what he can learn from our little guy. I can't help but feel the same way!

Sorry about the gushing. Back to the whole learning thing. It's fascinating.

I know this has something do with the fact that I see Hudson every single day. My friend's kids were so cool to watch learn all of this too but there's something about being with a child every single day and watching the slow progression and discovery that leads them to learn how to roll over and then crawl, sit and stand and finally, to walk. I never really thought of the process before having Hudson. I knew a baby would learn to roll over but I didn't know that once they did, there would be some stressful moments because they were stuck... it's not automatic to know how to roll onto their back again. Or when they learn to crawl. My friend told me that her young daughter is crawling now and she had some times where she'd freak out because she'd crawled into a corner and didn't know that she could back up to get out of it. So crazy!

I tried to find an answer to how long, on average, it takes an adult to "relearn" to walk but I couldn't really find a good answer. However, my friend Shereen is an occupational therapist (she helps people learn to live life after accidents, etc) and I know from talking to her about this a bit that it takes some time for sure. I also know that it's way more frustrating and difficult for an adult to relearn to walk than it is for a baby to learn for the first time. They are amazing little people.

There's not really a lot else going on in my head right now. Not the most interesting post. It's 9:30am on a Saturday morning, Hudson is already napping, Luke went to work for about an hour and I'm thinking about pumping up our air mattresses to see if they have holes before packing them for our trip next week and I'm also thinking about whether I should put on real clothes today or stay in sweatpants. The big questions of life. I know, you wish you could be doing the same thing. Sometimes I have to pinch myself over how glamorous my life is.

On that note, I'm going to stop typing. I feel like I'm heading in a direction that I don't really want to go this morning.

Happy Saturday.

No comments: