Friday, December 11, 2009

Before & After - Glucose Tolerance


BEFORE:

Sitting in front of me is an orange beverage that I'm supposed to drink to be screened for gestational diabetes. Every preggo has to drink it so I can't feel too sorry for myself right now. And I know it's not going to kill me because all of my girlfriends who are moms are still alive and well this very day... even though they too drank this ugly orange drink. However, everything I've heard about this drink is that it's totally disgusting. I thought I would write about it since I don't like things that taste bad. Luke is actually on speaker phone so he can laugh at me after I'm finished drinking it. How supportive! Here goes...


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
AFTER

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who jump right into the pool and those who go to the steps and gingerly feel the water, probably make some comment about how cold the water is and slowly get in... or maybe change their minds and get back out. When it comes to water, I'm the hemming and hawing one. And when it comes to things I don't want to drink that taste ick. Like the glucose tolerance beverage my doctor gave me to drink this morning. But here goes...

Well, it could have gone that way. I dipped my finger into my cup to taste this stuff and as promised, it wasn't so great. But Luke was on the phone basically telling me that I needed to be the 'jump right in' person and just get this over with. So I did. And now my stomach feels kind of wrong. Just wrong. Not in a major exaggerated way. Just a little bit off. And I'm okay with that.

Because you know what gestational diabetes can do to a baby? Remember that HUGE baby born in India recently... the 19 pounder or whatever he was. Well, if you don't remember, it wasn't exactly charming. He was huge. And disturbing... I think he probably cleared the 3-6 month clothing in the womb... something about that is just sad. And of course, it's dangerous and unhealthy for both mom and baby so I know even though it feels like maybe my doctor is playing a big game of 'let's just make Bonnie drink something totally gross because I'm a doctor and I can', it's really for a good reason.

And now, because I have to get my blood drawn at exactly 10:52 and it's 10:05 right now, I need to sign out. So bye.

2 comments:

jodimichelle said...

Bleh! Bonnie, I hated doing this too - I actually denied the test when I was pregnant with Oliver (because I wasn't at risk for gest. diabetes and I was fine with my pregnancy with Jessica) but when they found protein in my urine a couple weeks later they said I couldn't deny it any longer, I HAD to take it. And I HAD to take the 3 hour test, where I sit in the blood bank for 3 hours, and every hour get my blood drawn. Any way - as we all know - I had gest diabetes with Oliver ... bad enough to have to give myself insulin twice a day for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy. NOT FUN.

I think if we have more kids I'll deny the test again, only because the drink purposely raises your blood sugar to see how well your body reacts to it and counteracts it's affects ... well if they do that to me again of course I'm going to show that i can't take it .... and since I have all the testing stuff now I'll just monitor my blood sugars and if I see a rise I'll immediately get my doctors advice.

I love how I always write a book on here. Hope the test went well!

Jessica said...

I will concur with the uneasy tummy feeling after the drink. Seriously Gross!!