Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bricks & Mortar... and a few steps


I've save a few photos from Montreal for it's own special little post. Yay for them! Because honestly, I could gush for HOURS about the beautiful architecture of Montreal. Literally HOURS. I hope you've blocked off some time for this...

Actually, just kidding because I didn't take very many photos of buildings. Every single one I walked past was photo worthy most of the time. I don't think that's a correct sentence. Let's try again. Of all the buildings I walked past, almost all of them were photo worthy. Whew! That's better.

And also, unfortunately, some of the MOST beautiful homes I saw were in the evening and it was dark and we were in a car so those ones will remain undiscovered at this point... A mystery you will never read about on this website. Unless I go again. And take those photos.

Okay, back on track... Ahem. Photo commentary. Begin.

These first three photos were like the first three buildings next to where we stayed. Every single one was SO pretty! My only complaint to whomever thought up all of this is the steep crazy stairs OUTSIDE the building in a place that snows about as regularly as a pregnant woman visits a bathroom. Slippery? Possibly. Pain in the butt to shovel? Definitely. But I must say, they are beautiful to look at. Okay, nevermind, I have another complaint. Whomever designed these was not a parent. How the heck do you get your kids up those with strollers and car seats (um... wagon seats?) and groceries and diaper bags? No wonder Montreal has such a low birth rate compared to the rest of Canada.

So here's some lovely curvacious set of stairs. All the other steps are jealous...

These ones looked decidedly lovely as well. And WHAT a nice front door!

Love this building. And the front doors are arched! Great except for moving. But who would ever want to leave??

Here is just one of the many gorgeous churches we saw.

And honestly, one of my first thoughts is... that must have been a lot of work. Read 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett. Amazing.

I wonder where I can put in my order for a set of these...

And THIS.... This is.... a.... firehall. Truly. And why not? Copper is a perfect accent to red trucks. So festive.

We did visit the old part of Montreal as well... aka Vieux Montreal (mo-ray-al) which means, old Montreal. Enlightening. And I had walked by this area when I was 18 with my cousin and have always wanted to go back because it looked so lovely and there were all sorts of pretty shops to check out. And GUESS WHAT... we didn't go to that part because our 'tour guides' thought it was too touristy. And who would want to go through a bunch of silly little shops. Um, excusez moi... me?

But really, I guess I was the only one. Because I did manage to finagle a quick stop into a children's clothing store and it wasn't fun for anyone but me. Okay, my brothers helped me pick out an overpriced little item but it was in 'n out. Like the burger place but you just don't feel as satisfied. And I obediently walked past about 6 home stores that looked completely divine. DIVINE. And I just wanted to look. Not buy, look. Unless I found something totally amazing!

However, with all of that said, it was a great time! I still have a few more photos for another time on the farmer's market. Another beautiful thing. But that's all for now. Presents to be wrapped, groceries to be bought, milk to be consumed.

Happy Saturday!

No comments: