Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Pool

At least a couple of times a week now, I swim at the local aquatic center where I live. Usually in the mornings and because of that hour in the day, most of the people there are either seniors or mommies with kids. And a few others.

But more specifically, the diving pool where I... you'll love this... deep water run (ahem) is usually filled with older women. And that doesn't really matter much to me because they are all lovely and of course, one day I will also be apart of that age group (and I HOPE THAT SOMEONE THINKS I'M ALSO LOVELY AT THAT AGE...) but for the sake of this post, just hold on.

A few weeks ago, after a swim, I had this random thought and tweeted it. Without thinking. And then I thought about it afterwards. And I wonder.

Here it is:

Well, I can't find it. But it went something along the lines of wondering exactly how many people actually pee in the pool. And I think of this for a couple of reasons.

I am pregnant. And every single day, my bladder gets a little bit more squished. And the last week or so I have totally noticed that when I'm swimming, it's an awful relief when I'm done my hour of strenuous deep water running (ahem) and I can race to the bathroom. And for the record, I DO NOT pee in the pool.

But being pregnant has learned me a couple of things. (lame grammar and English but who cares!) Kegels are a pregnant girls best friend. But they are also really good for all women and even men. So don't roll your eyes at me for evening mentioning these things on my blog. And I read something recently that incontinence in older women is mainly a lack of kegel exercise in all the years before this problem starts.

So again... I go back to my main population in the deep water pool. I wonder exactly how many of those ladies did their kegels??

Enough said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you have to go there...lol...now that's all we will be thinking about...sick.-hailey

Jessica said...

Your bladder will be worse right after giving birth too for awhile. It is the necessary truth of child bearing sneezing and laughing are not a pregnant or new moms best friend:(