Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cravings

Cravings during pregnancy is a very strange bird. A weird and wonderful thing. And probably a little bit disturbing.

Prior to pregnancy, I could describe a craving as something that maybe struck my mind as sounding kinda yummy and maybe I should do something about it. A craving during those very long 9 months is more like... if I don't get my hands on this food in about 3.7 seconds, I'm going to go crazy. And I mean CRAZY. No joke. Ask Luke.

And the weirdest thing I've learned about these cravings is that they evolve. I have not craved a single food item the entire time I've been pregnant. In fact, during the 1st trimester, I kept waiting for a craving. I finally discovered the first one sometime during peach season. And did I ever eat peaches! In fact, I canned 50 lbs of them as well... you know, just in case. I didn't want to run out during the winter months. But sometime around October, that craving kinda died. And I have jars and jars of peaches to eat still. They are still tasty but it's not like I'm going to keel over and die to open a jar anymore.

And then there was the 2% milk thing. That's lasted the longest I think... we were at a friend's house for dinner and she offered a few different beverages and kind of last minute was like... oh and we have milk too. And for someone who NEVER, EVER likes milk to drink, I though... maybe I should have some milk. Well, I drank 4 glasses of milk DESPERATELY and QUICKLY. And since that fateful day, I don't know how much money we've spent on the stuff. It's like a drug. I have to have it. And if we're out, it's an emergency. Again, ask Luke.

So, today I thought it would be fun to look back on my many cravings because they seem to be slowing down a bit. I'm not as desperate to have whatever it is that I'm craving. I'm getting to the end of this whole party. But here's the list...

1. Peaches
2. 2% Milk (preferably Northwest Farms 2% organic from Fred Meyer. It just tastes the best out of all of them... and we've tried them all.)
3. Orange Juice with at least 4 ice cubes and a little bit of water and a STRAW. Very important.

Funny... while I'm typing about my cravings, the baby is moving around plenty! He obviously likes these foods too!

Moving on.

4. Oreo blizzards from Dairy Queen. This one only lasted a little while.
5. Cheeseburgers. Particularly the Bonzai Burger from Red Robin and the Boomer Burger from a local drive-in.
6. Tums. Just kidding.
7. Grapes, oranges... generally fruit. I ate a lot. I could eat a whole batch of grapes, bananas and oranges from Costco on my own in one week. No apologies.

And I think that's about it. Unless I'm forgetting something. Oh, I am! My latest one for the last few days has been strawberry smoothies... Strawberries, ice, milk and soy yogurt. SO good!

Oh, and I've also been craving Root Beer and Pepsi these last few weeks. I haven't given in to this one very often but when I do.... :-)

And I really think that's it now. Unless I'm forgetting something. Really, another topic altogether. Forgetfulness aka Pregnancy Brain. I think I'll just end this now.


No comments: