Friday, March 19, 2010

Sew disastrous

Yesterday I said I was going to make my dog a little bed. Well, I truly did have good intentions of doing this. I sewed the cover almost all the way, had it all measured for the down bedding and then I cut into my old down mattress and within about 2.4 seconds, I realized this was a bad idea.

And then I kept cutting.

Did you know that there are probably about 5 million feathers in a single bed-sized down mattress? I know that now. I did have the common sense (if you can call it that) to drag the thing outside after I saw what a mess this could be and then I kept going. I cut off the size that I needed and tried to stuff the feathers into that spot so they wouldn't get all over everything. This didn't really work so well.

Basically, our front porch looked like I'd plucked about 15 geese. Feathers ALL OVER... and some inside the house all over too. Which was especially lame because my house was totally clean and ready for this baby to arrive. Ugh. Long story short, I decided to NOT use the feather bed and it's outside waiting for Luke to do something with it. I swept most of the feather evidence off the porch but there are still some stuck in the screen and on the porch. Just a subtle reminder of my bad choices.

And then, because I felt that I should keep going, I decided to use an old down pillow insert in the closet instead... I don't know why this didn't occur to me in the first place. But suddenly it did so I kept sewing the cover even though by this time, I was really kinda mad. I got to just about the end and my bobbin ran out of thread. And because I was already so irritated at the mess all over my floors and outside, instead of refilling my bobbin and finishing my project, I threw it away. Just like that. So, my dog is not getting a homemade doggie bed. The one he was enjoying is now on the porch, ready for the garbage and I am freshly reminded why I totally don't love sewing.

But he did get a walk yesterday, barked quite a bit at everything and a stranger actually picked him up at the park so overall, I don't think he minded too much.

No comments: